ELIZABETHTON — A 3-year-old boy received chemical burns to his abdomen and feet at midday on Wednesday when a glass soft drink bottle broke and spilled the highly acidic liquid on him.
Elizabethton Police Chief Greg Workman said 911 dispatched officers to the H Building of Lynnwood Apartments on Bluefield Avenue. Officer Sarah Ellison was the first officer on the scene.
Workman said the spilled liquid has not been identified, but said it was a strong acid, probably sulfuric or hydrochloric acid, he said.
Workman said the acid had been contained in a Dr. Enuf bottle that had been placed on a concrete pad outside the apartments. The bottle had been knocked over, and it had broken. The child then got some of the chemical on him.
Officer Doug Combs said the mother took the child home and attempted to rinse of the chemical in the bathtub. The Carter County Rescue Squad took the child and mother to Johnson City Medical Center for emergency treatment.
The investigation into the incident was continuing. Workman said it was not known who had placed the bottle of acid on the concrete pad.